Place:St. Gluvias, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameSt. Gluvias
TypeCivil parish, Suburb
Coordinates50.173°N 5.103°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoKerrier Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
East Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1934
Penryn, Cornwall, Englandmunicipal borough which absorbed part of the parish in 1934
Kerrier Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district which absorbed the remainder of the borough in 1934
Falmouth Registration District, Cornwall, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-2007
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

St. Gluvias is a civil parish and settlement in Cornwall, England. The village is now a suburb on the northern edge of Penryn which is situated two miles northwest of Falmouth. St. Gluvias includes the hamlet of Ponsanooth.

St. Gluvias was part of the East Kerrier Rural District from 1894 until 1934. In 1934 it was split between Kerrier Rural District and Penryn Municipal Borough.

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St Gluvias. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.