|Type||Suburb, Urban district|
|Located in||Hampshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Dorset, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Westover Liberty, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Christchurch Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1895|
|Bournemouth, Hampshire, England||town of which it was a suburb|
|Bournemouth District, Dorset, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Pokesdown is a suburb of Bournemouth. The whole area was formerly in Hampshire, but since 1974 it is located in the county of Dorset. It lies just east of the suburb of Boscombe and west of Southbourne.
The area was part of the Liberty of Westover. After a year in Christchurch Rural District it was made an urban district in 1895, but in 1902 it was absorbed into the County Borough of Bournemouth.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 5, chapter on the Liberty of Westover may include some references to Pokesdown.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons