- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Pitchcombe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PITCHCOMBE, a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester; 2 miles N of Stroud [railway] station. Post-town, Stroud. Acres: 217. Real property: £770. Population: 178. Houses: 34. [Pitchcombe] House is the seat of J. Little, Esq. Extensive chemical works are partly within the boundary. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Harescomb, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1819. There is an Independent chapel."
There is no Wikipedia article. What the extensive chemical works were is unknown. Perhaps the making of pitch and tar.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, England | Stroud Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Pitchcombe, Gloucestershire, England