- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Pennington is now a suburb of Leigh, in Wigan, Greater Manchester. It originated as one of six townships in the ancient ecclesiastical parish of Leigh, that with Westleigh and Bedford merged to form the town of Leigh in 1875. The township of Pennington covered most of Leigh's town centre. Pennington was one of many sub-districts of Leigh Registriation District and Poor Law Union during the 19th century.
After 1800 the township of was dominated by the textile industry which developed from handloom weaving which had developed as a cottage industry.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Pennington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "PENNINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wigan and Leigh canal, adjacent to the Bolton and Leigh railway; and contains part of the town of Leigh. Acres: 1,437. Real property: £13,666. Population in 1851: 4,573; in 1861: 5,015. Houses: 1,000. Population of the Leigh town portion, in 1861: 4,496. Houses: 901. The chapelry includes only a section of the township, and was constituted in 1846. Rated property, £8,229. Population in 1861: 2,803. Houses: 531. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1854, and is in the later English style."
Help fund new features!