Pennington is a village in Hampshire, England. It is situated near the town of Lymington, and has been since 1974 in the civil parish of Lymington and Pennington. The settlement is located in the southern part of the New Forest, near the shore of the Solent.
Pennington is now mainly a residential suburb of Lymington, but it was for centuries a separate manor. The manor is recorded as "Penyton" in the 12th century, and "Penington" in 1272. The origin of the name is not known, but it might mean "Penny Farm". The manor of Pennington was held in the 13th century by the de Clares, whose descendants continued to be overlords till it passed to the Crown following the execution of the Earl of Salisbury in 1499. At the beginning of the 14th century, John de Acton, who held the manor for a knight's fee from the de Clares, split the estate into three parts, conveying two of the parts to John Neyrnoit or Nervett, and keeping one for himself. John Nervett soon re-granted one of the parts back to John de Acton, but henceforth, the estate was generally divided into thirds. That which John Nervett owned became known, from the 16th century onwards, as the manor of Pennington Narvett.
Two mediaeval mills at Efford and Gordleston still exist as places and names. There was also a chantry chapel at Pennington, the earliest known record of which dates from 1285. The advowson of the chapel seems to have belonged to the three lords of Pennington, and the chapel was dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The last-mentioned record of the chapel shows that it survived the confiscations of 1547–8 (later stages of the Dissolution of the Monasteries of the 1530s). The first parish church in Pennington, dedicated to Saint Mark, was erected in 1839. The church was replaced with the current building around 1858-60.
Pennington was originally a chapelry in the ancient parish of Milford. A Milford and Pennington Parish Council was created in 1894 and Pennington became a separate civil parish within Lymington Rural District in 1911. However, in 1932, Pennington was absorbed by Lymington Municipal Borough, and it is now part of Lymington and Pennington Town Council in the non-metropolitan New Forest District of Hampshire.