Pemberton is a mainly residential area of Wigan, and now an electoral ward of the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies on the southwestern bank of the River Douglas, contiguous to Wigan's town centre, and east of the M6 motorway. The area today serves as a predominantly residential suburb along with the adjoining area of Orrell and as a ward had a population of more than 13,500 in 2001.
Prior to 1974 Pemberton was a part of Lancashire. It was formerly a township and parish in the hundred of West Derby. Following the Industrial Revolution, Pemberton became a densely populated industrial district comprising a variety of coal mines, stone-quarries, brick manufactories, and cotton mills. Coal mining was the principal industry of what was described in 1911 as an "unpicturesque, bare and open" area. The former Pemberton Urban District was amalgamated into the County Borough of Wigan in 1904.