Place:Pelham, Hampshire, Massachusetts, United States

Watchers


NamePelham
Alt namesEquivalent Landssource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25001995
Pelham Heightssource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25001995
Stoddards Townsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS25001995
TypeTown
Coordinates42.383°N 72.4°W
Located inHampshire, Massachusetts, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Pelham is a town in Hampshire County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 1,321 at the 2010 census. It shares the same zip code as Amherst.

Pelham is part of the Springfield, Massachusetts Metropolitan Statistical Area.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Pelham (pronounced "PEL-am;" the "h" is silent) was part of the Equivalent Lands compromise, and was first settled in 1738 by mostly Presbyterian Scotch-Irish immigrants. It was officially incorporated in 1743. The town is named for the Pelham family; Henry Pelham was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom at the time of the town's incorporation, and his father, Thomas Pelham, 1st Baron Pelham had been prime minister prior to his term. The town is best known as being home to Daniel Shays, leader of Shays' Rebellion, an uprising to stop declining economic conditions in Massachusetts during 1786 and 1787. The rebellion, planned in Conkey's Tavern in town, spread across central Massachusetts, and met its practical end when most of the rebels were caught in nearby Petersham. Pelham also holds the distinction of having the oldest town hall in continuous use in the United States. A town meeting is held there for that primary purpose each year.

Pelham's boundaries have changed twice in its history. Originally a much larger town, rectangular in shape (except for a small extension southward taking up part of the modern area of Knight's Corner) and extending eastward to the top of Prescott Hill (where Daniel Shays once lived), the land east of the West Branch of the Swift River was annexed by the town of Prescott in the latter half of the nineteenth centuries (maps made in 1855 and 1862 both show this land still belonging to Pelham). The landscape would change once again, however, when the Quabbin Reservoir was formed along the branches of the Swift River. The reservoir filled along the river, and protected lands along its edge became part of the Quabbin Reservation. It was at this time as well that the towns of the valley were dis-incorporated, and a portion of Enfield which now constitutes the town's southeast corner (roughly east of Caldwell Brook and Knight's Corner) was given to the town. Because the reservoir divided the town from its old lands in Prescott, however, that portion of land was not returned to the town, but given to New Salem instead.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Pelham, Massachusetts. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.