Place:Shere, Surrey, England

Watchers
NameShere
Alt namesGomshallsource: village in parish
Holmbury St. Marysource: village in parish
Peaslakesource: village in parish
Feldaysource: former hamlet in parish
Pitland Streetsource: former hamlet in parish
Sheiresource: Family History Library Catalog
Shiresource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.217°N 0.467°W
Located inSurrey, England
See alsoBlackheath Hundred, Surrey, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Guildford District, Surrey, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Shere is a village and civil parish in the Guildford District of Surrey 4.8 miles (7.7 km) east southeast of Guildford and 5.4 miles (8.7 km) west of Dorking, centrally bypassed by the A25 road. It is a small still partly agricultural village chiefly set in the wooded "Vale of Holmesdale" between the North Downs and Greensand Ridge with many traditional English features.

The Tillingbourne river runs through the centre of the village. More than 80 per cent of homes are in the central area covering 3.11 square kilometres (1.20 sq mi); the northern area of Shere on the North Downs is without any named hamlets but includes the public hilltop park of Newlands Corner, covers 6.77 square kilometres (2.61 sq mi).

Shere is also a civil parish, extending to the east and south into hamlets founded in the early Middle Ages which officially, in the 19th century, were consolidated into three villages. These are Gomshall, Holmbury St. Mary and Peaslake. This larger entity has a total population of 3,359 and area of 24.5 square kilometres (9.5 sq mi). The population of the parish in the UK census of 2011 was 3,630.

Holmbury St. Mary, up in the Greensand Ridge, was a "modern" village term devised in 1878 for the two hamlets of Felday in Shere and Pitland Street in Shere and Abinger, when the place became a civil parish and ecclesiastical parish. The schools (that is, Church of England ones) were built in 1860 and enlarged in 1900.

Surrey Research Tips

Government

Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)

Registration Districts

  • Registration Districts in Surrey from their introduction in 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.

GENUKI provisions

The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes:

  • Archives and Libraries
  • Church record availability for both Surrey and the former Surrey part of Greater London
  • 19th century descriptions of the ecclesiastical parishes
  • Lists of cemeteries
  • Local family history societies
  • A list of historic maps online

History

  • The Victoria History of the County of Surrey is a series of three volumes available online through British History Online. The volumes were written over the past hundred or so years by a number of authors and cover various sections of Surrey. A list of the volumes and what each contains can be found under the source Victoria History of the County of Surrey. Both volumes 3 and 4 contain areas which are part of Greater London and parts of modern Surrey.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Shere. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.