Peach Lake is a hamlet (and census-designated place) located mostly in the town of Southeast in Putnam County, New York; a portion of the CDP is in the town of North Salem in Westchester County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 1,629.
The community of Peach Lake is located on the northeast side of a lake with the same name. The lake itself is in two counties. The community is south of Interstate 84.
Peach Lake is in two towns (North Salem and Southeast) and two counties (Westchester and Putnam). Peach Lake was originally farmed by several families. On the west side of the lake were the Bloomer and Palmer families, on the north side the Ryder family in the town of Southeast, and the Vail family were on the east side of the lake.
Prior to 1731, the eastern edge of the Bloomer farm was the border of Connecticut. The area from there to the current state border was given to New York as part of the OBLONG, EQUIVALENCY or Connecticut's Panhandle agreement.
The area was a strong dairy community from the 1850s through 1915, when the Borden Condensed Milk factory was in production in Brewster, New York. By 1915, the factory closed after New York City condemned much of the property along the rivers and lakes in the area to protect the water quality flowing into the newly created Croton Reservoir system.
The Bloomer family, originally from Rye, New York, started farming the property on the west side of the lake prior to 1760. In 1762 they purchased the land and built, along with the Palmer family, the Peach Lake Meeting House (Quaker Meeting house) at the southeast corner of the Lake. This Peach Lake meeting house, like many others starting at Long Island Sound and heading north, was built in the disputed area between the Connecticut and New York colonies called the Oblong.
The Vails family ran the dairy farm on the east side of the lake.
The Ryder family, who have for generations controlled the Putnam County National Bank, have farmed land on the northern end of Peach Lake since the 18th century.
North Salem was under the control of the Mohegans and more directly the Mohegan group called the Kitawonks, who laid claim to all the lands bordering the Kitchewan or Croton River that separates North Salem from present-day Somers. The lake and surrounding area was called Pechquenakonck by the Indian population. Dutch documents, such as Van der Donck’s 1656 History of New Netherland, mention the area. Other maps from Dutch archives, circa 1685, show the "Indian Tribes of the New World" and locations of Indian villages, including Pechquenakonck at Peach Lake. During 1600 and 1700s the lake was called Lake Pehquenakonck. Later it was called Peach Pond, which was a derivation of the Indian Pech-Quen. By the mid 1800s, the name was changed again to Peach Lake. The local middle school is called Pequenakonck (pronounced pee-kwon-a-konk), and the Country Club at Bloomerside Cooperative is called Pehquenakonck Country Club.
There are four large residential communities around Peach Lake. There are three cooperatives: Bloomerside and Vails after the original farming families, Pietsch Gardens Cooperative originally owned by the Pietsch family (purchased in 1926 from the Teagarden family) and Northern Westchester Country Club (aka Hotel Property) formerly owned by the Palmer family in the early 19th century. These four communities comprise approximately 460 homes which started as summer homes and communities about 1914.