Paythorne is a small village and civil parish since 1974 in the Ribble Valley District of Lancashire, England. It is situated alongside the River Ribble, north-east of Clitheroe, and on North Yorkshire-Lancashire boundary. Other parishes adjacent to Paythorne are Halton West, Nappa (both now in North Yorkshire), Newsholme, Horton, Gisburn, Sawley, Bolton-by-Bowland and Gisburn Forest (all now in Lancashire). The nearest town is Barnoldswick, situated 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) south-east of the village.
The area surrounding the village consists of several farms, and moorland including Paythorne Moor north of the village. In the 2001 census, Paythorne had a population of 95, in 35 households.
Historically, Paythorne was a township in the ecclesiastical parish of Gisburn in Staincliffe Wapentake in the West Riding of Yorkshire. From 1894 until 1974, Paythorne was located in Bowland Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Ribble Valley District in Lancashire.