Place:Patterson, Putnam, New York, United States

Watchers


NamePatterson
TypeTown
Coordinates41.5°N 73.6°W
Located inPutnam, New York, United States
Contained Places
Cemetery
Maple Avenue Cemetery
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Patterson is a town in Putnam County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast part of the county. Interstate 84 passes through the southwest part of the town. The population was 12,023 at the 2010 census. The town is named after early farmer Matthew Paterson. The reason Patterson was spelled with two "t"s was due to the looseness in which Paterson spelled his own last name.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The town was first settled around 1720 in The Oblong, which was a disputed area in southeastern New York also claimed by the colony of Connecticut. The Oblong was a strip of land approximately 2.9 km wide between Dutchess County New York and Connecticut, ceded to New York in the 1731 Treaty of Dover. Between 1720 and 1776 a large number of mostly Connecticut families settled in the southern Oblong who could not settle west of it because that land was privately owned by the Philipse Family, who owned virtually all of the rest of the future Putnam County. The first such settlers were the Hayt family, who built a house at The Elm in 1720. Another early settler was Jacob Haviland, who settled Haviland Hollow in 1731. The first village in Putnam County, the hamlet of Patterson, was originally called Frederickstown, which lent its name to the eastern part of the future Putnam County other than the oblong, which was called Southeast Precinct (not the same as the current town of Southeast). After the revolution, the Philipse land was confiscated, and in 1788, the former Philipse portion of the Oblong was chartered as the Town of Southeast, the remainder of the region being chartered as the Town of Fredericktown. In 1795, Fredericktown township was split up into four parts: 1. the Town of Carmel, 2. a part which was combined with the northern half of Southeast and became the Town of Franklin which was renamed the Town of Patterson in 1808, 3. a part which was combined with the southern half of Southeast and became the new, much larger town of Southeast, and 4. the remnant of the town, which was the Town of Frederick for a while, but was renamed the Town of Kent in 1817.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Patterson, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.