Street Address: 2845 Bloor St West, Etobicoke, Ontario
Park Lawn Cemetery is a large cemetery in the western Etobicoke section (Humber Bay-Sunnylea) of Toronto, Canada. In the heart of the city’s west end is one of Canada’s most historically significant cemeteries. Park Lawn Cemetery & Mausoleum opened in 1892 as Humbervale Cemetery and owned by local farmers in the area, sold in 1912 and finally in 1915 to Park Lawn Cemetery Company and renamed with the current name. It is the final resting place for many of Canada’s prominent citizens. With over 73 acres of rolling park-like grounds, it is not just a beautiful cemetery but also a tranquil retreat to visit for a walk; a place for peaceful reflection.
Park Lawn Cemetery & Mausoleum reflects the diverse ethnic and cultural heritage of the city. Though many people assume Park Lawn is at capacity, the cemetery still offers a full range of products and services from large family estate lots to a range of cremation options. In 1999 Park Lawn opened Paradise Mausoleum; a spectacular building surrounded by trees in the center of the cemetery. With phase two of Paradise Mausoleum completed in 2007 there will be a variety of options for years to come.
It currently has some 22,000 graves. It is managed by the Park Lawn Limited Partnership, which also runs five other cemeteries in Toronto. Controversy arose in 1995 when the company had re-zoned a section of the cemetery to permit construction of a condominium building. While the building was strongly opposed by some who had purchased lots, or had residents buried there, the OMB approved the project.