Before the arrival of the Portuguese in the Americas, the central portion of Brazil was occupied by indigenous Macro-Ge linguistic branch, as acroás the xacriabás, the Xavante, the Kayapo, the Javaés, etc.
Paracatu since 1586, was known to Europeans first traveled through the city flag: Flag of Domingos Luis Grau. Subsequently, other successive flags passed through the region, such as Antonio Macedo (1590), Domingos Rodrigues (1596), Domingos Fernandes (1599) and Nicholas Baker (1602-1604). However the village actually came with the arrival of the flags of Philibert Brant Caldera and José Rodrigues Fróis with the discovery of abundant deposits of gold and silver despite a certain type of settlement, with the cycle of leather, have started earlier. So the Camp of St. Louis and St. Anne of the Paracatu Mine came.
The title of Villa Paracatu Prince was given by royal charter, Dona Maria, Queen of Portugal on October 20, 1798, meeting of the Overseas Council consultation. Belonged to the County of Rio das Velhas, headquartered in Sabara and was renamed Vila is the Paracatu Prince. The same license, was created in the village, the place of judge outsiders, civil, criminal and orphans "with wages and emoluments which wins the judge outside of Mariana."
By letter regia of March 4, 1799, "His Majesty has served to make the Mercy Bachelor José Gregorio de Moraes Navarro's place of Juiz de Fora" Villa Paracatu, taking this office on December 14, 1799. First City Council was sworn in December 18, 1799 and her belonged the sergeant-major councilors Manuel José de Oliveira Guimarães, Francisco Dias Duarte, Captain John Smith and the prosecutor Paranhos chamber Luis José de Carvalho.
In 1840 Paracatu is elevated to the city and becomes the head of the District of Paracatu (capital), which included in its territory today as cities such Uberlândia, Minas Triangle, and cities north of Minas.
According to Public File Miner Magazine, in 1800, the town had 17,450 inhabitants in total. Of these, 1 935 were whites, mulattos 6335 and 3637 were free blacks. There were still captives, 327 mulattoes and blacks 5216.
Paracatu is one of the historic towns of Minas Gerais. It has around its territory five Quilombo, which still preserve their culture, considered the richest in the state of Minas Gerais ones.
The town has been developed as a major tourist and cultural center, having been overthrown in 2010 by the Institute of National Historical and Artistic Heritage (IPHAN), as Brazilian cultural heritage.