Panton is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book with 32 households, of meadow and a church.
The former St Andrews church, built in the 18th century, is Grade II listed. It was restored in 1905, when the chancel arch was built, and again 1925-30 by Christopher Turnor. Several 18th-century gravestones survive. The church is now used as a hay barn.