Place:Palm Harbor, Pinellas, Florida, United States

Watchers


NamePalm Harbor
Alt namesSutherlandsource: USGS, GNIS Digital Gazetteer (1994) GNIS12013549
TypeCensus-designated place
Coordinates28.084°N 82.754°W
Located inPinellas, Florida, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Palm Harbor is a census-designated place and unincorporated community in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP had a population of 57,439.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Palm Harbor was originally called Sutherland, a shortening of Southern Land and Development Company, the group that originally platted the community as Sutherland, Hillsborough County, in 1888. The name was changed to Palm Harbor in 1925. Palm Harbor was originally settled by area pioneers including the Thompsons ca 1865, the Whitehursts, the Hollands, the Tinneys, the Suttons, the Rivieres, the Bensons, the Roberts, the Aldermans and the Wilsons. J.C. Craver was the first Northerner to permanently settle in this portion of Hillsborough County. According to Craver's diary, still in the family, he came here in the winter of 1877 upon the advice of his physician. A post office commission under the name of Bay St. Joseph was granted in 1878, this being the earliest written record of the community. The name Bay St. Joseph was used only a short time before Yellow Bluff replaced it. But that name proved relatively short-lived, as a few years later its negative connotation with the yellow fever epidemic gave way to its present name. Palm Harbor was originally called Sutherland after a post office was granted in 1888, the same year the railroad came through. Sutherland boasted two beautiful hotels, the larger one becoming Southern College in 1902. It sat high on the bluff overlooking Sutherland Bayou and the Gulf of Mexico. Sutherland was thought to be named after the Duke of Sutherland, who visited these parts after landing at Tarpon Springs in 1887. Local pioneers dismiss this coincidence, pointing out that the name Sutherland is a shortening of Southern Land and Development Company, the group which originally platted the community in 1888.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Palm Harbor, Florida. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.