Oxshott is a low density suburban village in the Elmbridge borough of Surrey, England. Oxshott includes hilly acidic heath which is partly wooded (see Esher Commons and Prince's Coverts) and occupies the land between the geographically large towns of Esher and Leatherhead. The Oxshott section of the single carriageway north-south A244 runs through its middle and briefly forms its high street, centred from the A3 (Portsmouth Road) and the M25 (London Orbital motorway). A survey in 2010 by the Daily Telegraph asserted it was "the village with most footballers" in England and mentioned other celebrities who chose to live in the village — Chelsea F.C. have their main training ground in Stoke D'Abernon which together with Oxshott makes up a ward of the United Kingdom.
Before about 1912 an equally used alternative spelling, Ockshot was used, which was the year when the village gained its first place of worship, before which it was the eastern half of Stoke D'Abernon. The Prince's Coverts remains part of the Crown Estate, albeit decreased by some privatisation; and the public land of the village has been protected by inclusion in the Metropolitan Green Belt.
Oxshott means "Ocga's corner of land", from the Old English personal name Ocga and sceat (related to modern 'shoot') "corner of land". The first element does not, unlike Oxford, have anything to do with oxen.
The name was recorded in 1179 as Occesete. At this time Oxshott was a hamlet in the east of the village of Stoke D'Abernon of about 200 people and manor living greatly from the land, rather than trade, from forestry, farming and the keeping of pigs.
Until the 16th century Oxshott was fairly isolated from other centres of population, surrounded by heath and scrubland and connected to nearby villages only by footpaths. For almost the whole of a further three centuries no major transport links crossed the parish.
In 1820, the Duchess of Kent laid the foundation stone of the national (secular) primary school here, which was enlarged in 1897, as from 1885 the nature of the village was changed forever with the building of the railway. The station - first named Oxshott and Fairmile - allowed and encouraged day trippers and wealthy residents quickly to appreciate the area's scenery. The following 30 years saw Oxshott expand to meet their demands and in doing so it acquired all the characteristics of a stereotypical English village.
The Crown Commissioners limited early housing development to mansions or villas suitable for occupation by wealthy families. Examples of these include Danes Hill, Broom Hall and Bevendean. Subsequently the village has expanded and now includes most types of housing, save medium- and high-rise.
The religious needs of the growing population were met by the consecration of St. Andrew's Church in 1912, in the Church of England. Oxshott became a parish in its own right in 1913 under that name; this put an end to the use of the pre-1913 spelling of Ockshot, as used for example in 1911 in describing the place topographically for the Victoria County History. The high street expanded from what were once just three shops: a draper's, a tobacconist's and a set of tea-rooms. Industry arrived in Oxshott when John Early Cook set up his brickworks from the local deep patch of suitable clay in 1866. Production continued until 1958, with the famous and distinctive chimney of the works being demolished in 1967. Heathfield Pond is the site of the brickwork pit; it was previously called Brick Pond. The pond is approximately 100 ft deep with a cottage and machinery at the bottom. Alfie Skelton (15yrs) died in a boating accident on the pond in March 2011.