- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Oxenhall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OXENHALL, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 1¾ mile N W of Newent, 2¼ E of the boundary with Herefordshire, and 5¼ N by E of Mitcheldean-Road [railway] station. It was anciently called Horsenehal. Post-town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,887. Real property: £2,871. Population: 272. Houses: 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with the Furnace and much of the land, belongs to R. F. Onslow, Esq. A vein of excellent ironstone was recently discovered, and begun to be worked. A tunnel of the canal is here, 6,576 feet long. A Roman settlement was at Cold Harbour. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £80. Patron: the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch, and with W tower and spire; contains an old leaden font; and was reported in 1859 as bad."
There is no Wikipedia article for Oxenhall.
Newent (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Botloe (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England