- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
The civil parish of Ovington lies in southern Northumberland, on the north bank of the River Tyne. It is one of the smallest parishes in the county with a population of 532 in the UK census of 2011.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ovington, Northumberland.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ovington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OVINGTON, a township, with a village, in Ovingham parish, Northumberland; on the N bank of the river Tyne, 2 miles N E of Stocksfield [railway] station, and 9 E of Hexham. Acres: 1,105. Population: 420. Houses: 97. Ovington Hall and Ovington Cottage are chief residences. Malting and brewing are largely carried on. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school."
Ovington was a township in the ancient parish of Ovingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 Hexham Rural District was abolished and Ovington was transferred to the newly-formed Tynedale District. The Tyndale District was abolished in 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.