|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Hursley, Hampshire, England||ancient parish in which it was a chapelry|
|Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hursley Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Otterbourne is a village and civil parish in the City of Winchester of Hampshire. It is located approximately four miles (6 km) south of Winchester and eight miles (13 km) north of Southampton. In October 2002, its population was approximately 1,520, and there were 602 dwellings.
Otterbourne was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Hursley within the Buddlesgate Hundred. Between 1894 and 1932 it was part of Hursley Rural District, and from 1932 until 1974 part of Winchester Rural District. In 1974 it became part of the non-metropolitan district of the City of Winchester (or Winchester District).
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Otterbourne.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Otterbourne.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Otterbourne, Hampshire, England | Hursley, Hampshire, England | Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Hursley Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England