Osgathorpe is a small village which lies in a fold of the hills in the North West Leicestershire District of Leicestershire, England, and is about a quarter of a mile the A512 Coalville to Loughborough Road.
The parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin and dates from the fourteenth century. It was heavily restored in the nineteenth century, with the addition of a polygonal apse to the chancel. A tower with a small pyramid turret was built at the south west corner of the church in around 1930 and contains two bells, which are rung using a clocking method. There are pleasing north and south windows to the nave and chancel, and in the south wall of the nave can be seen a very unusual hagioscope (or squint), which is set diagonally within the stonework, to allow a view of the altar.
Opposite the church is the village school, built in 1670, with almshouses of the same date. There is also a good example of a sixteenth-century yeoman farmer's house just south-west of the church, with a fine Swithland slate roof.
A nineteenth century description
A History of Britain through Time provides the following description of Osgathorpe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: