|Alt names||Wipingeham||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 126|
|Barton||source: hamlet in parish|
|Barton Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Clavells Manor||source: from redirect|
|East Shamlord Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Fairlee Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Osborne House||source: estate in parish|
|Osborne Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Pan Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Shide||source: hamlet in parish|
|Shide Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Whippingham Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Woodhouse Manor||source: manor in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Isle of Wight, England (1890 - )|
|Also located in||Hampshire, England ( - 1890)|
|See also||East Medina Liberty, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Isle of Wight Rural, Isle of Wight, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1933|
|Cowes, Isle of Wight, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1933|
|Newport, Isle of Wight, England||civil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1933|
|Medina District, Isle of Wight, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1995|
|Isle of Wight (council), Isle of Wight, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 1995|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Whippingham is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 UK census was 787. It is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of East Cowes in the north of the Island.
Whippingham is best known for its connections with Queen Victoria, especially St. Mildred's Church, redesigned by Prince Albert. The village became the centre of the royal estate supporting Osborne House and Barton Manor. The farms, school, almshouses, forge and cottages were rebuilt when they became part of the Queen's estate and Prince Albert had a 'model farm' built at Barton. Queen Victoria took a close interest in 'her people' in Whippingham, providing for them in sickness and in health.
Whippingham went through various alterations to its boundaries in the 1890s and again in 1933 when it was abolished as a civil parish (a status which may have been reconsituted since 1974). These are best illustrated in a table, as follows:
|Date||Description||Other Parish||Area involved
|30 Sep 1894||reduced to enlarge||Newport||
|31 Dec 1894||reduced to create||East Cowes||
|31 Dec 1894||enlarged by the abolition of||Wootton||
|01 Oct 1897||reduced to enlarge||East Cowes||
|01 Apr 1933||abolished to enlarge||Cowes||1883 acres.
|01 Apr 1933||abolished to enlarge||Newport||6250 acres.
|01 Apr 1933||abolished to enlarge||Ryde||31 acres.
According to The National Archives Manorial Documents Register, the following manors were located in the parish of Whippingham: Barton Manor, Clavells Manor, East Shamlord Manor, Fairlee Manor, Osborne Manor, Pan Manor, Shide Manor, Whippingham Manor, and Woodhouse Manor. Osborne Manor was the pre-cursor of the Queen Victoria's residence, Osborne House. Some of the other manors are of a size to be mentioned as "addresses" in 19th century censuses, as well as earlier parish registers and manorial documents, and for the Family History Library Catalog to classify them separately. See [[Category:Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England]] listed below.
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Isle of Wight, England | Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England | East Medina Liberty, Hampshire, England | Isle of Wight Rural, Isle of Wight, England | Cowes, Isle of Wight, England | Newport, Isle of Wight, England | Medina District, Isle of Wight, England | Isle of Wight (council), Isle of Wight, England