Place:Oriskany Falls, Oneida, New York, United States

Watchers


NameOriskany Falls
TypeVillage
Coordinates42.938°N 75.463°W
Located inOneida, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Oriskany Falls is a village in Oneida County, New York in the United States. The population was 732 at the 2010 census. The name is derived from a waterfall on a nearby stream.

The Village of Oriskany Falls is in the southeast section of the Town of Augusta and partly overlaps the Town of Marshall. The community is at the intersection of Routes 12B and 26, which share a brief concurrency within the village and south to Bouckville.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The community was first settled around 1794. It was originally known as Cassety Hollow, and was incorporated as the Village of Oriskany Falls in the 1880s.

In the mid and late 1900s, Mr. George Tucker owned a large portion of the town, which he donated to the people, including a church and the local store, "Tucker's Big M." The store, however, was sold in 2004 to the "Shur-Fine" corporation, who had a gas station put in and remodeled the storefront, and then again in 2006 to brothers-in-law Badal Singh and Sukhminder Singh, natives of India.

The First Congregational Free Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Oriskany Falls, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.