- source: Family History Library Catalog
Oldbury-on-the-Hill is a small village and former civil parish in Gloucestershire, England, 93 miles west of London and less than one mile (1.6 km) north of the village of Didmarton. It was absorbed into the parish of Didmarton in 1931.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Horsley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with a village, in Tetbury [registration] district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, adjacent to Wilts, 5¾ miles S W of Tetbury, and 6¼ E of Wickwar [railway] station. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres: 1,342. Real property: £2,584. Population in 1851: 485; in 1861: 440. Houses: 105. The decrease of population was caused by the closing of a large boarding-school. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Didmarton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Joint value: £387. Patron: the Duke of Beaufort. The church is early English; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There is a village school."