- source: Family History Library Catalog
Old Tower Without, or Precinct of Old Tower, was an extra-parochial area lying between the Tower of London and the boundary of the City of London. Like the Tower itself until the late 19th century, it was in the county of Middlesex rather than the City of London. It became a civil parish in 1858. In 1889 it was transferred from Middlesex to the newly-created County of London. The parish was abolished in 1895, becoming part of the parish of St. Botolph without Aldgate. In turn, the parts of St Botolph without Aldgate outside the City became part of Stepney Metropolitan Borough in 1900. Stepney Metropolitan Borough was abolished in 1965 to become part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in Greater London.