Originally, Oldswinford was an extensive ancient parish, covering the whole of the pre-1974 Municipal Borough of Stourbridge, with the exception of the parish of Pedmore. The area included the settlements of Wollaston, Lye, and Norton (in Oldswinford) (which were part of the same manor). Stourbridge and Amblecote, while in the parish, were separate manors.
Amblecote was formerly in Staffordshire, but the rest of the parish (south of the River Stour) was in Worcestershire. Both Stourbridge and Amblecote were formerly administered separately from the rest of Oldswinford. The Parish Church of Oldswinford is St Mary's Church.
The manor of Old Swinford changed hands from time to time during the Middle Ages as a result of political upheavals and the changes of fortune of its overlords. It is questionable whether these great feudal lords ever visited this manor, the supervision of the peasant's customary service and the collection of dues and fines being left to their stewards. The Lytteltons, seated a few miles away at Frankley until their house there was destroyed during the Civil War causing them to move to Hagley. The Lytteltons acquired the superior manor of Old Swinford in 1564 and were the dominant local family until the 17th century. During the intervening time they fell from favour and lost much of their wealth through involvement in the Gunpowder Plot and the Royalist and Roman Catholic causes in Stuart times. They were superseded by the Foleys whose wealth was based on the rapidly expanding iron industry.
The name of the parish was sometimes formerly written Old Swinford. This spelling is still used for Old Swinford Hospital, a voluntary-aided school with boarding houses, founded and endowed by the ironmaster, Thomas Foley. The parish name and that of Kingswinford derive from a "swine ford", perhaps on the crossing of the Stour that also gave rise to the name Stourbridge. The road crossing there was the main road between the Saxon burhs of Worcester and Stafford.
There are numerous pre-1900 buildings remaining in Oldswinford. The area has also been heavily developed with upmarket private housing since the 1920s. The name Oldswinford is now used for a small area of Stourbridge, close to the parish church.