Place:Old Stratford, Warwickshire, England

Watchers
NameOld Stratford
Alt namesOld Stratford with Draytonsource: civil parish created from Old Stratford in 1902
Old Stratford Withinsource: civil parish created from Old Stratford in 1902
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.19°N 1.71°W
Located inWarwickshire, England     ( - 1902)
See alsoBarlichway Hundred, Warwickshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Stratford upon Avon, Warwickshire, Englandsuccessor to Old Stratford from about 1900
source: Family History Library Catalog


A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Old Stratford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"STRATFORD (Old), a parish and a [registration] sub-district in Warwick[shire]. The parish contains Stratford-upon-Avon borough, Old Stratford proper, and Luddington hamlet in Stratford-upon-Avon [registration] district, and Bushwood hamlet in Solihull [registration] district. Post town: Stratford-upon-Avon. Acres: 6,860. Real property: £34,724; of which £500 are in gasworks. Population in 1851: 6,456; in 1861: 6,823. Houses: 1,477. Clopton House was long the seat of the Clopton family, and was recently renovated. Welcombe Lodge was the residence of the Combes, the friends of Shakespeare, and has been dismantled. A mineral spring is at Bishopton. Entrenchments, formed in war-like operations between the Saxons and the Danes, are at Welcombe. The living is a vicarage, with the chapelry of St. James-the-Great, in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £239. Patron: the Countess of Amherst. The church will be noticed in the article on Stratford-upon-Avon. The chapelry of Holy Cross and the [perpetual] curacy of Bishopton are separate charges.
"The [registration] sub-district excludes [Stratford]-upon-Avon borough, includes 8 other parishes, and is in [Stratford]-upon-Avon district. Acres: 22,680. Population: 5,931. Houses: 1,323."

Old Stratford was the civil parish which included Stratford upon Avon until 1894, but it was also considered a part of the ancient borough of Stratford upon Avon and a part of the municipal borough of Stratford upon Avon (created 1835). It contained the township of Bushwood, the hamlet, chapelry and civil parish of Luddington and the township and civil parish of Stratford upon Avon. In 1894 Old Stratford was reduced (abolished?) to create two new civil parishes: Old Stratford with Drayton and Old Stratford Within, neither of which are traced any further forward. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)

The above paragraph attempts to discuss the evolution of the town of Stratford through the 19th century. The map of Warwickshire urban and rural districts in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey shows the location of Old Stratford with Drayton and Old Stratford Within in relation to Stratford upon Avon by 1930.

Research Tips

  • The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
  • GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
  • Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
  • The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.