|Alt names||Romenel||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 149|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Langport Liberty, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Old Romney is a village and civil parish in the Shepway District of Kent, England. In the UK census of 2001 it had a population of 206.
The village, as its name suggests, is the original site of the settlement, and is situated two miles (3.2 km) inland from New Romney. It lies on what was once an island in the erstwhile River Rother estuary.
By the time of the Domesday Book (1086), New Romney was already in existence.
Old Romney was originally an ancient parish in the St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, the Langport Liberty and the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Romney Marsh Rural District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Old Romney, Kent, England | St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England | Langport Liberty, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England