Place:Old Cleeve, Somerset, England

Watchers
NameOld Cleeve
Alt namesBlue Anchorsource: village in parish
Roadwatersource: village in parish
Washfordsource: village in parish
Bilbrooksource: hamlet in parish
Chapel Cleevesource: hamlet in parish
Golsoncottsource: hamlet in parish
Leighland Chapelsource: hamlet in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.1684°N 3.3753°W
Located inSomerset, England
See alsoWilliton and Freemanors Hundred, Somerset, Englandhundred in which it was located
Williton Rural, Somerset, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
West Somerset District, Somerset, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Old Cleeve is a village and civil parish 5 miles (8 km) south east of Minehead in the West Somerset District of Somerset, England. The civil parish of Old Cleeve covers an area of 2,092 hectares (5,170 acres) and includes the villages of Blue Anchor, Roadwater and Washford as well as hamlets such as Bilbrook, Chapel Cleeve, Golsoncott and Leighland Chapel. Approximately half the parish lies within the Exmoor National Park. In 2011, the population of the parish was 1,672.

The name Cleeve means "cliff" or "hill" and became known as Old Cleeve to distinguish the principal village north of the main A39 road from the later site of Cleeve Abbey to the south. The parish of Old Cleeve was part of the hundred of Williton and Freemanors and the Williton Rural District (1894-1974).

Old Cleeve was also near the route of the West Somerset Mineral Railway which ran from the ironstone mines in the Brendon Hills to the port of Watchet on the Bristol Channel. The old Mineral line railway station which was built in 1861 is now a store, and there is also a bridge remaining from this line.

Research Tips

  • The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
    The Heritage Centre has an email address: archives@somerset.gov.uk.
  • Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
  • Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
  • Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
  • Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Old Cleeve. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.