Place:Old Alresford, Hampshire, England

NameOld Alresford
Alt namesAlresfordesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 120
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.1°N 1.167°W
Located inHampshire, England
See alsoAlresford Liberty, Hampshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Old Alresford is a village and civil parish in Hampshire, England. It is north of the town of New Alresford, north-east of the city of Winchester, and south-west of the town of Alton.

During the late 18th century, Alresford Cricket Club was one of the strongest sides in England.

In 1851, George Sumner, son of the Bishop of Winchester, Charles Richard Sumner, became rector of the village. There his wife, Mary Sumner started the now global Mothers' Union organisation of Anglican women.

In 1986, following the closure of the village school and post office, The Old Alresford Dramatic Society (T.O.A.D.S.) was founded, as a way of bringing the village together. They perform a pantomime in December each year and a Spring Show, usually in May.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Old Alresford. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.