|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Whalton, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Whalton, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Ogle is a village in Northumberland, England, in the parish of Whalton, northwest of Ponteland and southwest of Morpeth. The surname Ogle comes from here, where the Ogle family built Ogle Castle and owned Kirkley Hall.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ogle.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ogle from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OGLE, a township in Whalton parish, Northumberland; 6½ miles S W of Morpeth. Acres: 2,117. Population: 117. Houses: 21. Ogle Castle here was long the seat of the ancient family of Ogle; was built, or restored and strengthened, in 1340, by Robert de Ogle; was a long quadrangular pile, with towers at the four corners, and surrounded by a double moat; was the place to which Copeland took the captive King David of Scotland, after the battle of Neville's Cross; and is now represented chiefly by fragments incorporated with a picturesque manor-house of the time of Charles I., and by remains of the moat."
Ogle was a township in the ancient parish of Whalton and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed back into the parish of Whalton.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.