- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Offchurch is a village and civil parish on the River Leam, 3 miles (4.8 km) east of Leamington Spa in Warwickshire, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 250.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Offchurch. Origin of the name. Ownership of the manor through the centuries.
Offchurch was originally an ancient parish in the Knightlow Hundred of Warwickshire, England.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of the Warwick Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the non-metropolitan Warwick District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Offchurch from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "OFFCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in the [Warwick registration] district and county of Warwick[shire]; on the river Leam, the Warwick and Napton canal, the Fosse way, and the Rugby and Warwick railway, 3 miles E of Leamington [railway] station, and 5 E by N of Warwick. Post-town: Leamington. Acres: 2,273. Real property: £4,144. Population: 304. Houses: 66. The manor belonged anciently to the Mercian kings, afterwards to Coventry priory; and, with all the property, belongs now to the Earl of Aylesford. Offchurch-Bury, an ancient stone mansion, is the Earl's seat; and stands on the Leam, in a finely wooded park of about 250 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £140. Patron: Lady Aylesford. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains several handsome monuments and tablets. There is a national school.
- The website British History Online provides seven volumes of the Victoria County History Series on Warwickshire. The first (Vol 2) covers the religious houses of the county; Volumes 3 through 6 provide articles the settlements in each of the hundreds in turn, and Volumes 7 and 8 deal with Birmingham and Coventry respectively.
- GENUKI main page for Warwickshire provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
- Warwickshire and West Midland family history societies are listed in GENUKI.
- The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851. There is a list of all the parishes in existence at that date with maps indicating their boundaries. The website is very useful for finding the ecclesiastical individual parishes within large cities and towns.
- A Vision of Britain through Time, Warwickshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
- The two maps below indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.