Originally known as South Bay, the English government established a township here in 1674 called Christian Hook, basing the name on the predominant religious affiliation of residents in the area. Land development came rapidly, and oyster sales took their place as a dominant force, with the local business "Mott's Landing" becoming a favorite place to buy oysters. In terms of appeal to oyster customers, it was decided that "Oceanville" sounded better than "Christian Hook": it was "Oceanville Oysters" that sold, and in 1864, the new name became official. However, there was already an Oceanville in New York, so "Ocean Side," as two words, was adopted as the town's name in 1890. The name was condensed to "Oceanside" in 1918.
The Oceanside Fire Department was established in 1902. Columbia Engine Co. #1, an old firehouse, still exists, and is located at the southwest corner of the triangle where Lincoln Avenue meets Long Beach Road.
The last farm in the community was demolished in 1997.
Nathan's Famous opened its second restaurant on June 4, 1959, on Long Beach Road in Oceanside. There was a large Nathan's building with play areas and a big open dining room that had a stage. Shows were family events. The building was razed, and a strip mall was built in its place. A modern Nathan's franchise has since opened on the corner of Long Beach Road and Windsor Parkway.
Text from Christian Hook, Queens, New York Page
[Christian Hook was redirected here since it is the same place]
[See above for the wikipedia text which was also placed on the Christian Hook page]
The area was in Queens County until January, 1899, when it became Nassau County, New York.