Obetz is a village in Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The population was 4,532 at the 2010 census. The community (originally "Obetz Junction", in honor of settler Charles Obetz) was formed in 1838 as a stagecoach junction, and incorporated in 1928. Nearby "Reese Station" served as the railroad station for the immediate area, while other adjacent communities such as Groveport, Lockbourne and Canal Winchester were part of the Ohio and Erie Canal canal and lock system. The close proximity of Obetz Junction to these terminal towns transformed the area into a hub of commerce, travel and trade in mid-19th century. Communities such as Obetz and its neighbors, with their strong ties to transportation helped to further cement Central and Columbus, Ohio's status as the state capital.