Oakthorpe is a village in the English county of Leicestershire.
In 1086, Oakthorpe was part of Derbyshire and was amongst several manors given to Nigel of Stafford by William the Conqueror. Until 1897 Oakthorpe, and its neighbours Measham and Donisthorpe, continued to form part of an extensive exclave of Derbyshire.
Since 1974 Oakthorpe lies within the Oakthorpe, Donisthorpe and Acresford civil parish, which is part of the District of North West Leicestershire. From 1866 until 1974 the civil parish was named Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe
In the past Oakthorpe's main economic activity was coalmining as there were numerous deep active mines in the area. However since the closing down of the mines in the 1990s Oakthorpe has simply become a residential village.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Oakthorpe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: