|Alt names||Notesselinge||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 124|
|Nutshullyng||source: Wikipedia (name variation)|
|Nutshalling||source: Wikipedia (name variation)|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located before 1834|
|Redbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Nursling and Rownhams, Hampshire, England||civil parish taking over from Nursling in 1932|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Nursling is a village in Hampshire, situated about 6 kilometres northwest of the city of Southampton. Formerly called "Nhutscelle" (in an 8th-century life of Saint Boniface), then Nutshalling or Nutshullyng until the mid-19th century, it has now been informally absorbed into the suburbs of Southampton, although it is not officially part of the city (remaining part of the Test Valley District or borough).
The civil parish of Nursling lost part of its area to the newly formed parish of Rownhams in 1894. In 1932 the two civil parishes were merged into the new parish of Nursling and Rownhams.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Nursling.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Nursling.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Nursling, Hampshire, England | Buddlesgate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Redbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England | Romsey Rural, Hampshire, England | Nursling and Rownhams, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England