Nunda (pronounced "none day") is a town in Livingston County, New York, United States. The population was 3,064 at the 2010 census. Nunda welcomes each visitor with signs stating, "Welcome to Nunda, A Nice Place To Live." The name is derived from Nunda-wa-ono, a Seneca Indian tribe that once lived in the hills and valleys along the Genesee river and Keshequa stream within the Township of Nunda. In the Seneca language, "Nunda" relates to hills and a popular translation is "Where the valley meets the hills".
The Town of Nunda is at the southwest border of the county and contains a village also called Nunda.
In 1790, two small Seneca Indian villages could be found opposite each other on the Chautauqua Hollow Trail which became State Street.
Nunda was first settled around 1806 near the village of Nunda. The town was formed in 1808 from the Town of Angelica (in Allegany County) before the creation of Livingston County. In 1827, part of Nunda was used to found the new Town of Portage. Originally called the Village of the Nunda Valley, the name was shortened to Nunda by Charles H Carroll in 1824. The Village of Nunda, also part of the Keshequa Region of Western New York State, was incorporated as "Nunda Valley" and later Nunda in 1939. On March 11, 2008, Nunda celebrated its Bicentennial.
In 1808, only three pioneer families lived in what is now the Town of Nunda. By 1830 the population had increased to 1,291 and by 1840 there were 2,636 residents. The population peaked at nearly 4,000 in the 1840s when the Genesee River Canal was built, which ran through the town until 1878. The population had fallen to less than 3,000 by the early 1880s.
People of note