- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Nun Monkton is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated 8 miles (13 km) north of York at the confluence of the rivers Ouse and Nidd. Cottages and houses are grouped around a village green of 20 acres (81,000 m2) with a duck pond and a maypole. The Ouse is navigable for another 30 km and river traffic played an important part in the village's life until the middle of the twentieth century.
- end of direct Wikipedia contribution
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Nun Monkton.
Historically, Nun Monkton was an ecclesiastical parish mostly in the Upper division of the Claro Wapentake, but with some sections in the Ainsty Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, Nun Monkton was located in Great Ouseburn Rural District and from 1938 until 1974 in Nidderdale Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
The page, Great Ouseburn Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Nun Monkton in the West Riding. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- GENUKI on Nun Monkton in Ainsty. This is a supplementary entry.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Nun Monkton provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Nun Monkton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.