- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia.
Norton St. Philip is a village and civil parish in Somerset, England, located between the City of Bath and the town of Frome. The village is in the district of Mendip.
Since 1933 it has included the former parishes of Hinton Charterhouse and Farleigh Hungerford.
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
NORTON-ST. PHILIPS — a small town in the liberty of Hinton and Norton, and locally in the hundred of Wellow, situated 7 miles S. from Bath, and containing 134 inhabited houses, and 150 families, 34 of whom are employed in agriculture, 84 in trade, manufacture, or handicraft, and 32 not comprised in either class. This town had formerly a weekly market, and four annual fairs; two of the latter are still held, one on May 1st, and the other on August 29th. The church is dedicated to St. Philip and St. James, and is an ancient building, consisting of a nave, chancel, and side aisles, with a neat embattled tower At the west end 70 feet high, containing a clock and six bells. The living is a vicarage, in the deanery of Frome, and in the gift of the Bishop of the diocese ; Rev. J. Cammeline, incumbent; instituted 1819. Population, 1801, 557 — 1811, 593 — 1821, 669.
1929 - Somerset by George Woosung Wade & Joseph Henry Wade
Norton St Philip, a comely village equidistant (3 m.) from Midford (S. & D.) and Freshford (G.W.R.) Stations. It stands on high ground near the crossing of the roads from Frome to Bath, and from Radstock to Trowbridge. In mediaeval days Norton was the scene of a considerable cloth fair, the tolls of which were the perquisites of the prior of Hinton. At a later date it was the scene of a sharp skirmish between the Duke of Monmouth's forces and a body of regulars under the Duke of Grafton. The church has an extraordinary W. tower, the eccentricities of which have led some to conclude that it was constructed out of odds and ends from the dismantled monastic buildings at Hinton. Note the singularly deep buttresses and the quasi-porch formed between them. The body of the church is likewise peculiar, but of more merit. It is one of Sir G. Scott's restorations. In the S. wall of the nave is the recumbent effigy of a layman (cp. Cleeve). Beneath the tower is a tablet commemorating a local "freak"—the two ladies of Foxcote, who appear to have been an early edition of the Siamese Twins. A neighbouring garden contains a good Elizabethan dovecot. Norton St Philip claims to possess the oldest licensed house in England—the George—a stately 15th cent. hostelry standing at the top of the village. It is a fine old half-timbered building, with a small bay window in front and an octagonal projecting staircase and gallery at the back, and is well worthy of inspection within and without. It was probably built for the accommodation of the merchants of the staple in the old cloth fair-days.
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey (select "Maps and Postcards" from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: email@example.com.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Somerset Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Somerset in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Somerset in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s