Norton on Derwent, commonly referred to as simply "Norton", is a town and civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England. Norton borders the market town of Malton, and is only separated from it by the River Derwent. The 2001 UK census gave the population of the parish as 6,943, increasing at the 2011 UK census to 7,387.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Norton-on-Derwent.
Norton on Derwent was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 Norton, which had no townships, became a civil parish. In 1894 it became an urban district, a status it held until 1974.
In 1974 rural districts were abolished and the border between the East Riding of Yorkshire and the North Riding of Yorkshire was realigned. The North Riding changed its name to North Yorkshire. Since 1974 Norton has been in North Yorkshire, specifically within the Ryedale District. Norton and Malton now constitute one medium-sized "town".