- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Norton-le-Clay is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated near the A1(M) motorway and 2 miles (3.2 km) north-west of Boroughbridge.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Norton-le-Clay from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NORTON-LE-CLAY, a township in Cundall parish, [North Riding of] Yorkshire; 3 miles N of Boroughbridge. Acres, 1,023. Real property, £1,867. Population: 144. Houses: 31 The manor belongs to the Earl of Ripon. There is a chapel of ease."
Historically, Norton-le-Clay was in the ecclesiastical parish of Cundall in Halikeld Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Norton-le-Clay was located in Thirsk Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Norton-le-Clay. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Cundall provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Norton-le-Clay.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
- Ordnance Survey Southern part of the West Riding 1944 shows the southern part of the West Riding (including the southern part of Wetherby Rural District).