|Alt names||Norton-by-Bredon||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|See also||Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Pershore Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Wychavon (district), Worcestershire, England|||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
|Bredon, Worcestershire, England||neighbouring parish into which it was absorbed since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Bredon's Norton or Norton-by-Bredon was a chapelry in Worcestershire, England, until 1866 when it was made a civil parish. It was made part of the Tewkesbury Rural District (which had parishes in both Worcestershire and Gloucestershire) in 1894. In 1935 Tewkesbury Rural District was abolished and its parishes were transferred to other rural districts usually on the same side of the county boundary as the parishes themselves. Bredon's Norton was transferred to Pershore Rural District.
In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 Pershore Rural District became part of the wider Wychavon District and Bredon's Norton was merged with its neighbouring parish of Bredon under the name Bredon.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bredon's-Norton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NORTON-BY-BREDON, or Bredons-Norton, a hamlet-chapelry in Bredon parish, Worcester; under Bredon hill, near the boundary with Gloucester, 1 mile S E of Bredon [railway] station, and 3½ N E by E of Tewkesbury. Post-town, Bredon, under Tewkesbury. Acres: 1,100. Population: 243. Houses: 55. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bredon, in the diocese of Worcester."
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Pershore Rural, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon (district), Worcestershire, England | Bredon, Worcestershire, England | Bredon's Norton, Worcestershire, England