Place:Bredon's Norton, Worcestershire, England

Watchers
NameBredon's Norton
Alt namesNorton-by-Bredonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Located inWorcestershire, England
See alsoOswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1935
Pershore Rural, Worcestershire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1935-1974
Wychavon (district), Worcestershire, England|municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974
Bredon, Worcestershire, Englandneighbouring parish into which it was absorbed since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


Bredon's Norton or Norton-by-Bredon was a chapelry in Worcestershire, England, until 1866 when it was made a civil parish. It was made part of the Tewkesbury Rural District (which had parishes in both Worcestershire and Gloucestershire) in 1894. In 1935 Tewkesbury Rural District was abolished and its parishes were transferred to other rural districts usually on the same side of the county boundary as the parishes themselves. Bredon's Norton was transferred to Pershore Rural District.

In the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974 Pershore Rural District became part of the wider Wychavon District and Bredon's Norton was merged with its neighbouring parish of Bredon under the name Bredon.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bredon's-Norton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"NORTON-BY-BREDON, or Bredons-Norton, a hamlet-chapelry in Bredon parish, Worcester; under Bredon hill, near the boundary with Gloucester, 1 mile S E of Bredon [railway] station, and 3½ N E by E of Tewkesbury. Post-town, Bredon, under Tewkesbury. Acres: 1,100. Population: 243. Houses: 55. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bredon, in the diocese of Worcester."

Registration Districts

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!