- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The manor of Norton Conyers once belonged to Richard Norton who, with his sons, was executed for rebellion in 1569. After briefly belonging to the Musgraves it was acquired by Sir Richard Graham in 1624 and, except for 20 years between 1862 and 1882, has remained in Graham family ever since.
Sir Richard Graham was a Royalist from Cumberland who died at Norton Conyers in 1644 of wounds received at the Battle of Marston Moor shortly after making his way home after the defeat. The Graham Baronetcy, of Norton Conyers in the County of York, was created in the Baronetage of England on 17 November 1662 for Richard Graham in honour of his services to the Restoration of the Monarchy.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
GENUKI expands on the history of the Norton family beyond that given above.
Historically, Norton Conyers was in the ecclesiastical parish of Wath (near Ripon) in Allertonshire Wapentake. From 1894 until 1974, Norton Conyers was located in Wath Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Norton Conyers. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Wath provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Norton Conyers.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!