- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Norton is a civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. The main settlements in the parish are the three hamlets of Norton (sometimes called Cold Elm Norton), Bishop's Norton and Prior's Norton. (These hamlets are all redirected here.)
The parish is bisected by the main A38 road that connects Gloucester and Tewkesbury. Bishop's Norton lies to its west and Prior's Norton to its east. Norton formerly lay on the road but is now bypassed. For the purposes of local government the parish forms part of Tewkesbury Borough or District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Norton, Gloucestershire, England