A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Northorpe (near Gainsborough) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
The following facts are taken from GENUKI for which much appreciation is conveyed.
The Anglican church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. Parish registers exist from 1593. Some of the lower portions of the church appear to be of Saxon origin, but most of the structure is Late Norman in style. The Primitive Methodists had a small chapel here, built in 1847 and enlarged in 1899.
Scotton parish lies to the north and Kirton in Lindsey parish to the northeast. Grayingham is to the east and Laughton (near Gainsborough) to the west. The River Eau runs northward through the eastern portion of the parish on its way to the Trent. A small parish in area, it covers only about 1,800 acres. The average population throughout the 19th century (measured on census years only) was 218. Southorpe parish was an extra-parochial portion of Northorpe until 1866 when it became a separate civil parish. In April, 1936, Southorpe was abolished and merged back into Northorpe.
Northrope Hall is an Elizabethan manor, once the seat of the Monson family. Northcote Hall is a more recent structure, erected by T. F. Embleton-Fox.