Place:Northaw, Hertfordshire, England

Alt namesCuffleysource: hamlet in parish
Northallsource: Family History Library Catalog
Coordinates51.7°N 0.15°W
Located inHertfordshire, England
See alsoCashio Hundred, Hertfordshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Hatfield Rural, Hertfordshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Welwyn Hatfield District, Hertfordshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog

Northaw was an ancient parish (sometimed called Northall) in the south central area of Hertfordshire, England. Located approximately 13.5 miles (21.7 km) north of central London and adjacent to the Greater London boundary, it is a partly urbanised parish with large sections of open land. Since 1974 it has been part of the Welwyn Hatfield District and described as the parish of Northaw and Cuffley, Cuffley being a hamlet in the parish.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Northaw from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"NORTHAW, or Northall, a village and a parish in Hatfield [registration] district, Herts. The village stands on a hill adjacent to the boundary with Middlesex, 2¼ miles E by N of Potters-Bar [railway] station, and 4½ N E by N of Barnet; is a neat place; and has a post-office under Barnet. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cuffley. Acres: 3,180. Real property: £5,104. Population: 551. Houses: 114. The property is divided among a few. The manor is held by the trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The Hook is the seat of N. B. Acworth, Esq.; Northaw Place, of E. L. Morgan, Esq.; the Grove, of W. Rowden, Esq.; Nyn Lodge, of W. Faber, Esq.; and Upper Barvin, of J. T. Pascoe, Esq. A mineral spring is at Cuffley; and another mineral spring was on Northaw Common, now enclosed, but has been choked up. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £140. Patrons: the Trustees of the late Rev. J. A. Trenchard. The church is cruciform, of pointed architecture, in good condition; and has an embattled tower rebuilt in 1810, a handsome W porch, and a painted chancel-window. There are national schools, built in 1850, and charities £73."

Research Tips