North Witham is a small village and nominally a civil parish in the South Kesteven District of Lincolnshire, England. The village is located along the upper course of the River Witham, and approximately 9 miles (14 km) south from the nearest major town, Grantham. In the UK census of 2011 it had a population of 143 in around 72 households, making a density of 0.1/hectare. North Witham includes the hamlet of Lobthorpe.
The village is perhaps best known for its links with Isaac Newton (1642 – 1726/7), who lived nearby and visited the village on numerous occasions and made carvings in the wall of the church porch. RAF North Witham (1943-1945) also existed nearby.
The North Witham parish council was merged into the parish council for Colsterworth in 2007 due to lack of interest amongst the people of the parish itself. Although effectively merged with Colsterworth, the North Witham civil parish has not been abolished and remains a separate legal entity.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article North Witham. Includes a history of the church and its architecture.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.