Place:North Seaton, Northumberland, England

NameNorth Seaton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.169°N 1.55°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoWoodhorn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1935
Hirst, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which part was transferred in 1900 and 1909
Newbiggin by the Sea, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which the remainder was transferred in 1910, 1921 and 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of North Seaton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SEATON (North), a township in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland; on the coast, at the N side of the Wansbeck river's mouth, and at the terminus of a branch of the Blyth and Tyne railway, 6½ miles E of Morpeth. Acres: 1,210; of which 100 are water. Population in 1851: 146; in 1861: 1,262. Houses: 209. The increase of population arose from the extension of collieries. [North Seaton] House is the chief residence."

North Seaton was a township in the ancient parish of Woodhorn. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1935 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. From 1900 its area was gradually reduced, with two tranches going to Hirst in 1900 and 1909, a three more going to Newbiggin by the Sea in 1910, 1921 and 1935, at which point the civil parish was abolished.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.