In 1806, the vast tract of land comprising present-day North Olmsted, Olmsted Falls and Olmsted Township was purchased for $30,000 by Aaron Olmsted, a wealthy sea captain. In 1815, David Johnson Stearns of Vermont was followed by other pioneers from New England who established a settlement in the wilderness.
Earliest records show the area was called Kingston. In 1823 the people organized into a township called Lenox.
On March 1, 1931, the Village of North Olmsted started the historical North Olmsted Municipal Bus Line one of the first and one of the oldest municipal transit systems in the United States which was in operation for over 74 years until March 20, 2005; when it was absorbed into the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority GCRTA; the countywide agency for Cuyahoga County, Ohio.
On March 24, 1966, the Great Northern Theatre opened at Great Northern Shopping Center in North Olmsted. This was one of the first and few Cinerama Theatres in Ohio and had a gold colored curtain in front of the long 90 foot screen in a very large auditorium with 1,346 seats. It was closed in 2000 due to new cinemas that were added in Westlake, Ohio by Regal Cinemas.