North Ockendon is an outlying settlement of northeast London, England and part of the London Borough of Havering. It is located 18 miles (29 km) east northeast of Charing Cross (a point in London used for measuring distance from the centre) and consists of a dispersed settlement within the Metropolitan Green Belt. Until 1936 it was an ancient parish in the county of Essex when it was abolished for civil purposes.
During the period 1894-1936, North Ockendon formed a parish in the Orsett Rural District of Essex. The majority of its former area was used to enlarge the Cranham parish of Hornchurch Urban District and the remainder of the former parish, around 383 acres (1.55 km2), was used to form part of Thurrock Urban District in 1936.
In 1965 Hornchurch Urban District was abolished and its former area, including North Ockendon, was transferred to Greater London and used to form the present-day London Borough of Havering. North Ockendon and Great Warley were to the east of the M25 motorway when it was constructed [after 1965]. In 1992 it was proposed that the part of Greater London to the east of the M25 should be transferred to Essex, with the Great Warley section north of the railway transferred to Brentwood and the North Ockendon section to the south transferred to [[Place:Thurrock (district), Essex, England|Thurrock. The transfer of North Ockendon from London to Essex was strongly opposed locally. Following the review the Great Warley section was transferred to Essex, but the North Ockendon part was not, leaving it the only part of Greater London to be outside the M25 motorway.